Monday, October 29, 2007

How I plan to "carry on".

Session 6 in our class assignment asks us to blog on how we plan to continue to use this blog after this class is over. I would like to continue to use it for reflection. As I have stated many times this is my first year of teaching. I know this blog is not very "structured". At first I just ranted and "shot the breeze" so to speak but once I got the hang of the assignments that came after the readings I buckled down and started discussing pertinent issues to this Read/Write Web 2.0. I am glad I was forced (you all don't know the half of why I have to pass this class!) to learn about things I would have scoffed at before. I don't chat. I got rid of my MySpace account because I didn't like all the negative press it was getting. I would have never thought I would say anything worthy of a blog. Now I see that whether people read it and love it, read it and hate it, or read it and move on without a word- I said it and it is here "written" for me to reflect on at a later date. I wish it was accessible where I need it the most, at school, but I understand why it is not and I have made my peace with that. I think the two best blogs I have read are Greggory's (Dr. Lecter) for his scathing cynicism and Rachel "Shelly"'s (Dragons Dolphin) for her endearing thoughts on life as she sees it. I LOVE my bookmarking site (Furl.net) because it allows me to keep sites and travel with them where I need to go. I hope this answers my instructors question but just in case it didn't - I plan to use my blog for personal reflection during my pivitol first year of teaching.

1 comment:

Shelly said...

First of all, thank you for the kind words about my blog. I realize I see the world in a different light than most people do--seems I've always been that way!

Second, the idea of keeping your blog as a first year teacher is excellent. You will be surprised how many times you'll go back and read something from earlier in a month or school year and have totally forgotten about something that you wrote about. I know that as a first year teacher (of course, it's been so long ago for me I can barely remember back that far)it can really be tough. My first year I had a student 3 years OLDER than I was!!! I was not stern enough, my students tried their hardest to walk all over me--but failed--and I think I actually got through to them. But I can thank the principal (at the time) for hating me. If he hadn't and had actually given me tenure by hiring me back for a 3rd year, I might never have found my niche as a Spedster and I would no longer have a home, a job or anything else--as that position was located 75 miles south of New Orleans! As it is, I love the students I now have and have loved being at the school enough that this is year 23 at the school. The first year will be rough. The next few will get easier, and then from then on it will be a yo-yo based on your students, parents, principal, and your own family. But keeping this blog will help keep you on the right track and will help you find where you've strayed here and there. I'll be checking in on you from time to time to see how you're doing--and see what your latest thoughts on life are!